What's new

Will I damage roots?

oldmaninbc

My plants are around 7weeks of veg and in 5 gal.containers. Does putting bamboo stakes(4 stakes each ctn) in for support damage the roots at this time?

Terpyterps

Yes you are damaging them but they will be just fine. Unless you have super finicky cultivar they don’t mind at all. I always transplant my auto flowers too and never had any problems with stunted growth and they are more finicky than photoperiodic plants just because they are going to flower when they are no matter what. Although you can delay the start by topping them usually, not always. If you can you could use yo-yo for support if you are afraid of staking.

Old Uncle Ben

Root termination induces branching behind that point, reason why I've used root pruning systems for decades. Doesn't matter what I'm growing my root systems are massive, fibrous and super efficient. See my diary.

Terpyterps

Yes, never been afraid of roots, learned that from gardening school way back. Root pruning is good skill to learn. Autos obviously are in their own category because of their time limit.