What's new

Long-term Marijuana Smokers Less Likely to Develop Certain Cancers.

Skip

Veteran
In the first of it's kind study, long-term cannabis smokers have been determined to be 62% less at risk for neck and head cancers than people who don't smoke marijuana. This is one of the first studies to show the cumulative benefits of long-term marijuana use.

It's not quite clear whether smoking the herb itself is providing the protection or whether similar protection would be offered by eating products containing cannabis.

Compared to people who never smoked pot, those who began smoking marijuana between the ages of 15 and 19 years were 47 percent less likely to develop head and neck cancer, while users who began at age 20 or older had a 61 percent reduced risk, Kelsey and colleagues found.
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE57O5DC20090825

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
never heard of anyone getting head cancer or neck, is that the same as brain and throat?

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
wait tell BIG tabacoo....here'z about this..................:laughing:
times R' chang'in.............

Storm Crow

Veteran
In case any of your are interested....

In case any of your are interested....

here's the study-

A Population-Based Case-Control Study of Marijuana Use and Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19638490

And there's a LOT more like that in "Granny Storm Crow's list" (links below). You would think this would have been front page news!

Granny :joint:

A

alpinestar

one more study showing the anti cancer properties of ganja
gee... how could it be that a plant that humans have grown for thousands of years, cure cancer? :D

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I think it is more of a preventative. And to be prudent, we should both smoke and eat cannabis to make sure we prevent all cancers. I do.

A

alpinestar

after several studies had been done to try to find a link between smoking cannabis and lung cancer, the results were always tobacco users got cancer, tobacco/cannabis users had reduced rates of cancer, and people whole solely smoked cannabis never got lung cancer

there no link between the act of smoking and cancer. there is a link between smoking tobacco and cancer.
and if it had to do with smoking, then why do people who only chew tobacco (and dont smoke) get cancer in the mouth?

in later studies rats were given various types of cancer, then injected with cannabinoids such as thc in order to see the anti cancer properties
the cannabis either completely eliminated the tumor or slowed it down and extend the life of the animal

cannabis has preventative as well as curative properties in regards to cancer
some people are so stuck in this mindset of smoking is bad , that they forget what logic is
i think smoking is bad for your lungs, but in the way of pulmonary obstruction, which can be avoided if one exercises a little thing called moderation

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I believe that we are on the verge of discovering the biggest cover-up in History--
Think about it, Cannabis was in many, many of the medicines that were sold, prior to Prohibition...which, I might ad...started about the time that Big Pharm started getting it's incredible power...
What if....what if it was discovered that cannabis had cancer curing properties...and Big Pharm convinced (paid off) the Government to criminalize it, so they could keep ppl from finding this out...since it is way more profitable to treat ppl for Cancer, than it is to cure them--
I have been dwelling on this for a while now...the more we are learning about the properties of cannabis, the more I can't believe it wasn't known before--
And I cannot think of another substance...that scientists were NOT ALLOWED to study....kinda makes ya wonder why??

Gebr'el

"herbs are for the healing of the nations.."
its just to sad that the propaganda of the past still plagues us in present times...so sad that so many people are suffering from ailments that a backyard garden can cure.
peace n luv all......keep spreading the truth, it WILL break through.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aint no money in cures.....only treatment.......and it is a conspiracy...well, technically a conspiracy is secret...these fools just put it right in our face...the pharma's arent the only ones who will be losing billions, (cotton, pesticide, tobacco, nylon, the list of industries is long and illustrious) but i guess that should be saved for another thread......
---having lost three outta 4 grandparents and both parents to various cancers, im gonna keep on tokin and eatin and see if i can break the 'family tradition'

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
I think it is more of a preventative. And to be prudent, we should both smoke and eat cannabis to make sure we prevent all cancers. I do.

and there are additional benifits,,,

yeah that too,, - but dosen't it delay altzheimers and or parkensons? Speaking of which - I must be due for my preventative bong hit.....

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
---having lost three outta 4 grandparents and both parents to various cancers, im gonna keep on tokin and eatin and see if i can break the 'family tradition'
Very close to your situation Sub..and I think I'll follow your approach too! Skip thanks for posting...DD

bengie187

They also did a study in the earlier years of the last century on marijuana....I think i was LaGuardia the mayor of new york who conducted the study and the Us government coverd up all the true findings of this study.....If im remembering correctly that study also found similar results...:2cents:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Theres a reason that heavy weed smokers dont get lung/throat/mouth cancer.