What's new

Washington MMJ Patients speak up!

I just received a surprising phone call.....

I recently contacted my Representitives in Olympia regarding the draft recommendations from LCB and DOH regarding changes to RCW69.51A. I was surprised at how receptive they were to what I had to say. Considering I live in an area of the State that I live is about as conservative as it gets in WA they were VERY open and supportive.

The surprise came when I answered my phone today and on the other end was the Director of WSLCB. I was pleasantly surprised to find that he is a supporter of MMJ and interested in maintaining safe access for MMJ patients.

We spoke for about 45 minutes and three key points came up repeatedly:

1. Availability of medicine to all. Understanding that those of us in more remote and conservative areas may not have access to medicine if homegrows are eliminated. A significant portion of our State's residents live 60-100miles (or more) from the nearest likely outlets if the recommendations pass as writen.

2. Affordability of medicine. Price and tax structure will change significantly if the recommendations are adopted as presented in the draft. This could have a huge impact on affordability of medicene.

3. Selection of appropriate medicine. Forcing medical patients to purchase medicine from 502 stores would likely limit our selection to strains best suited to the recreational market. It is likely that most 502 retail outlets will be catering to the recreational customer and less likely to have strains suitable to the medical community.

A good portion of the discussion came down to how damaging it would be to MMJ patients to eliminate the option to home grow. Mr. Garza did have one question that I did not have a good answer for. "How do we regulate home grows?". IMHO: Home grows are currently not a significant problem. I asked "How do you regulate people who brew there own beer at home?". His response was that home brewers have an exemption and are not regulated by LCB. LCB only takes action against a home brewer if there is a complaint that they are violating the law. IE: Selling 6 pack to the kids down the street?

Why no the same standard for home grows? Exepmtion from oversite unless there is a complaint of violation?

This is a rough overview of the conversation. Not complete in detail or argument. I wanted to pass on, quickly, that there are people in Olympia who are listening. WE NEED TO SPEEK UP!!!!!

CALL!!! EMAIL!!! WRITE!!!

Battery is going dead on my laptop. I will follow up soon.

FJ.

therevverend

Veteran
Nice work! The state considers it's medical laws obsolete and hopes no one will notice if they go away. We cannot let that happen.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't see how they can change the medical laws w/o a vote?

@ whatever rate; i feel like the 15 plant rule is just fine. I was told 3 people could be living together and each have their 15 plants & be compliant. It seems like the state's major complaint is with people seeking to profit off the medical MJ paradigm. IOW; if someone wants to grow/process/sell cannabis @ a profit; they can license through something like the 502 process.

I believe the LCB will respond well to cogent discussion & maybe not so well to fit throwing and shrieking around

here's the specifics from WSLCB:
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Liquor Control Board (Board) announced today that it will hold a public hearing on Nov. 13, 2013, to hear public testimony regarding recent draft medical marijuana recommendations.
Hearing Details
Date: Nov. 13, 2013
Time: 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Location: Worthington Center - Saint Martin’s University (5300 Pacific Ave. Lacey, WA 98503)
A proviso in Section 141 of the state operating budget directs the Washington State Liquor Control Board to work with the departments of Revenue and Health to develop recommendations for the Legislature regarding the interaction of medical marijuana regulations and the emerging recreational marijuana system.

I certainly hope we do retain our right to provide for our own medication w/ 15 plant personal grows & it would be nice if a dispensary could open & do business w/o concern of legal repercussion

http://changingplanet.org/420leaks/?....fRwBeb6Q.dpbs

looks like things might get messy out here in Washington over the 502 bs.....

Bob Ferguson files for RECALL petition for gov Inslee hahahha its for real from what I have heard. I hope they all get what they deserve.
Thanx to all the people fighting for patients rights here in wa and elsewhere.

We HAVE to keep the right to provide medicine for ourselves and for those less fortunate.
big business will never have compassion!

2nd_nature

from my understanding of the 15 plant rule no provision is made for multiple patients in one home, additionally there seems to be wording which excludes a designated caregiver from also being a patient with a seperate 15 plant limit.