What's new

war declaired on the appalachia mountains

VA-KY-MTRSouthwings_med.jpg

look at what these mother****ers are doing to one of the oldest mountain range in the world...

http://www.appvoices.org type in your area code and see if the coal that powers your home comes from strip mining in the appalachias. chances are it comes from this mountain range right here. since they've started shaving off the entire tops of mountains they destroyed over 450 mountain tops in the region, they fill the valleys with the dirt and it pollutes rivers, causes extreme flood, and is destroying the entire ecosystem.

this mining is destroying the way of life for alot of people out here. the coal companies are evil as **** and they dont care what they do to our people and communities. most people who aren't from around here don't even know this happens. coal companies have alot of influence in government. they make sure they stay far from the publics eye so they can't see the devastation happening. and the people who work the coal mines don't have any other jobs offered so they are stuck destroying their own communities, and they can't say anything or they will be fired.

i suggest you get on google earth and check out the detestation your self. its so ****ing sad and this is going on in my own backyard. im tired of watching these mountains be assaulted. if anybody would like to help stop mountain top removal there are lots of good organizations and sites out there with plenty of info. please check them out before its to late and this mountain range is turned into one giant midwest plains... and keep in mind king george bush expanded the rules on strip mining to make it easier for these companies to come in here and kill our eco system. but that mother****er doesnt have to come up here in live, so i guess its no big deal to him what kind of devastation it has on my communities.

Last edited:

PoppinFresh

wow... this is all the attempt of the ghosts of past robber barons to maintain their wealth by feeing the beast all of this coal and oil and such. we need to get away from the past and look to the future of energy... the industrial age is OVER.

G

That is too pretty of an area for this to be happening. Unfortunatly, that coal is headed straight for my area to be used. Sorry, dude. I am moving if that helps any.

hey- the coal they use to destroy my mountains with powers my home too. in fact they power most of the united states. i've been saving up for solar panels but its ****ing expensive. i need to figure something else out, but i can't keep supporting these coal companies. they come in here flatten our mountains, take our money, land, resources, and leave when everything is up. its ****ing sickening. you should see the areas they flatten and then "reconstruct" its such a joke. in my opinion Appalachia is in a state of emergency until these coal companies are hung from noose's and shot.
thanks to good ol' king George Bush he's made easier for these companies to flatten mountains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpSDY6r2BVc
watch this video to find out more.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/10/end_mountain_top_rem.html
check out this website. thanks to google earth you can now check out the sites from the air. the coal companies cant hide deep in the mountains anymore. there is a national memorial set up on the google earth site so you can check out all 450 mountain tops that have been removed. we're talking thousands of miles of mountain tops removed, thousands of miles or rivers polluted, and entire eco systems lost.

Last edited:
G

Great thread Georgeduke. I remember seeing some video on it. I don't think people understand they can take a mountain to the base, it can be nothing but a pile of dirt. Its pretty sad to see the way the world is turning, I even think of all the awsome growspots that are being destroyed. If we grew hemp in those mountains, there would be plenty of fuel and plenty of mountains.

HCSmyth

Very disturbing driving threw West Virginia during the summer a couple of years ago I though it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I live in NY State near the top of this very old mountain range. Mother Nature over millions of years has not been able to do the kind of damage humans have done in literally months.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Oh man sorry to hear that...that's just sad! :badday:

Kind of defeats the point..what good is living and energy if there is no beauty left to admire? :wallbash:

Last edited:
dont worry the folks of applachia will rise again and were gunna give these coal companies are real war. they'll be strung from nooses and danced around under an open fire all night long. they've mistreated the people of applachia long enough. when we tried to unionize they killed us, gave us shitty wages, cut jobs, unsafe working conditions, murder our land, extreme flooding, air pollution, water pollution, etc.
they also kick us out of our houses, land, and where families have been living for 100's+ years so they can mine the land. they want to mine everything. hell why not?? king goerge gave them the green light and i think only more mountain top removal will happen until these mountains are all but gone. we must find a new energy source before its to late. the sad thing is coal is being sold off to america as our own independent fuel source. but coal is killing these mountains and the people out here. ive seen it.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the links! This stuff makes me sick... I saw one video where a sludge pond spidded into a kentucky river.... The EPA called the event the worst environmental disaster ever to happen east of the mississippi.... I had not heard even about it! :badday:

I love backcountry packing around the Apps. Its absolutely terrible how they're ruining these habitats! Watershed destruction and pollution is a huge issue!!!! Many species are being put pressure on.... Can't believe the gov't allows this stuff....

Last edited:
these coal companies have a major stranglehold on our government too.
you should also see the areas they try to "reconstruct". its pathetic. first off, how in the hell does on reconstruct a mountain range thats over 300 millions years old?? and how do you reconstruct the flora and fauna of that kind of eco-system?? you can't. there idea of reconstruction so far has been schools, shopping centers, golf courses (no one around here can afford to pay rent muchless play golf), and the worst of all.... PRISONS! then the other areas are planted with grass or sprayed green to prevent erosion and called pastures. how sad is that? we dont want god damn pastures, we want our god damn mountain back.
oh yeah they dont even keep the timber, its buried.

Last edited:
heres a video done by ilovemountains.com the video features woody harrelson.

More than 450 mountains have been destroyed by mountaintop removal coal mining. Watch this video of mountaintop removal featuring Woody Harrelson and a soundtrack featuring an original recording of "Blowin' in the Wind," sung by Willie Nelson.
This video is part of the National Memorial for the Mountains, hosted by www.ilovemountains.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPixjCneseE
please watch

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
You should see Muhlenberg county, Kentucky. It looks like the surface of the moon, from all the strip mining.

yeah so ive heard. ****ing disgusting.

in fact, when we first landed on the moon many people in eastern kentucky thought they just went to where they strip mine and filmed it because the mines look exactly like the surface of the moon.

G

What sickening evidence of the cruelty humans impose on the land we stand upon, we need to put a feild of ganja on the next mountains so they will smoke it and go home.