What's new

Few question about ebb & flow in rockwool

gr866

Veteran
you can get allmost the same yield in any system, there is no best system...there is a system that can perform well in your situation....for exemple nft and aero if yu have high temp is far from ideal, with ebb and flow you loose height, ......every system have is good and bad things.
Can you please explain how you loose height with an ebb and flow system?

Hiddenjems

Can you please explain how you loose height with an ebb and flow system?
The reservoir goes under your tray, you lose a foot to a foot and a half. The containers will always sit off the floor.

Now the new ebb and flow with buckets sits on the floor. But that system is just a dwc setup that’s not on constantly, and will be sensitive to solution temps just like dwc.

gr866

Veteran
The reservoir goes under your tray, you lose a foot to a foot and a half. The containers will always sit off the floor.

Now the new ebb and flow with buckets sits on the floor. But that system is just a dwc setup that’s not on constantly, and will be sensitive to solution temps just like dwc.
Yes mine is a bucket system, not like a DWC at all, the system fills and drains back to the rez and your right it is subject to temp flux.

Hiddenjems

Yes mine is a bucket system, not like a DWC at all, the system fills and drains back to the rez and your right it is subject to temp flux.
It’s exactly like a dwc setup, except it’s only full 5-10% of the time. All the same solution temperature and clogged drain issues.

Not saying it doesn’t work well. You’ll need pretty cool ambient temps, a chiller, or to be able to put your Rez and buckets right on a concrete slab.

My tables can sit in an 80* room indefinitely without root issues.

gr866

Veteran
Yeah just the height of the rez + flooding table on top of it make me loose 35/40 cm
My 5 gallon pots sit on the floor and they are 14 inches/35 cm. When I was running DTW, table with drain tray was 10 inches and the top of the fabric bags were 8 inches. So a total of 18 inches/45 cm, I've gained 4 inches/10 cm of grow space Not that it has ever been a problem as I either used a net or grow vertical on a trellis.

Hiddenjems

you can get allmost the same yield in any system, there is no best system...there is a system that can perform well in your situation....for exemple nft and aero if yu have high temp is far from ideal, with ebb and flow you loose height, ......every system have is good and bad things.
Pretty much.
I run flood tables with indica dominant strains in a sog setup. Mostly because I can’t grow really tall plants in my spaces. I also like to run dwc if I’m in a basement or on a concrete pad in a well cooled space.

The flood tables can run an easy 5-10* warmer rez temps than dwc.

Another reason flood tables make sense in rooms with co2 enrichment. Keeping the rooms 7-8* warmer to help raise plant metabolic rate can wreak havoc on a dwc setup with no chiller.

I really like the look of some dwc trees, but running a whole operation that way is a lot of money in chillers and even more electric use.

St. Phatty

Last 2 times I did ebb and flow with rockwool, the platform where the plants were was about 18 inches off the ground, and the plants were about 4 feet tall. The lights were about 2 feet above the top of the plants.

Both times in a normal bedroom with an 8 or 9 foot ceiling.

With 6 inch cubes.

Hiddenjems

Last 2 times I did ebb and flow with rockwool, the platform where the plants were was about 18 inches off the ground, and the plants were about 4 feet tall. The lights were about 2 feet above the top of the plants.

Both times in a normal bedroom with an 8 or 9 foot ceiling.

With 6 inch cubes.
Fabric pots on the floor would have given you another 6-12”. Which can be a difference maker.

Latest posts

Latest posts